French toast: this screams nostalgia if you ask me. When I was at my grandma’s place, I always got this for breakfast with lots of sugar, apples and a glass of milk. I never forgot how much I enjoyed eating this.. And hello?! Why wasn’t a healthy alternative available on the Foodie-ness blog until now? Not only is this an easy recipe, I’m pretty sure you already have all the ingredients ready in your kitchen.
“Grandma’s French Toast: it never gets old”
This recipe for healthy and low-kcal French toast can also be made gluten-free. For this recipe I used a whole wheat bread, soy milk, eggs and cinnamon. As a topping I used fresh fruits and some quark. But feel free to vary with toppings to taste 🙂 Can you already imagine the smell of your kitchen on an easy Sunday morning?
– 6 slices whole weat bread (optional gluten- free)
– 2 eggs
– 150 ml soy milk
– 1 tbsp cinnamon
– pinch of salt
– fresh red fruit
MACRONUTRIËNTEN (per slice)
- Energie: 105 kcal
- Koolhydraten: 14 g
- Eiwitten: 6 g
- Vet: 3 g
- Vezels: 3 g
- Put the egg, soy milk, cinnamon and salt in a shallow dish and whisk to combine.
- Heat a little oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- While the skillet preheats, dunk each slice of bread in the mixture, thoroughly soaking both sides.
- Place the slices in the preheated pan, and cook on both sides until golden.
- Serve warm with fresh fruit and quark (optional honey).