Mmm… Today I made one of the Indian classics. A vegetarian Samosa with a potato and green pea filling. Actually, all samosas are vegetarian because, although you can put anything in a samosa, about thirty percent of India is vegetarian. And because I’m also a vegetarian, I had to give this recipe a try. Normally you fry the samosas, but I just made them in the oven.
Just as tasty but much healthier. I went here for a sweet chili dip, although a yogurt dip or (homemade) chutney is even better. What would you like to serve with it? Let me know!
- 8 puff pastry squares
- 80 g peel, cubed potatoes
- 80 g summer peas
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbs fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 egg, whisked
MACRONUTRIENTS PER PIECE
- Energy: 183 kcal
- Carbs: 16,3 g
- Protein: 3,2 g
- Fat: 10,8 g
- Fiber: 0,5 g
- Preheat the oven to 190 C. Remove the puff pastry from the freezer and let it sit out at room temperature.
- Place the potato’s in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-15 min until fork tender. Drain the potato’s, put them back in the pan en set aside.
- Heat up the oil in a skillet and add the onion. Cook until softened for 4-5 minutes, adding the garlic, ginger and chilli after 2 minutes.
- Add the peas, garam masala, cumin and the curry powder. Cook 3-4 minutes. Add the potato’s and salt. Cook and stir for another 2-3 minutes. Take off the heat and stir through the coriander.
- Cover a baking tray with baking paper. Divide the 8 squares of puff pastry on the tray. Place 1,5 tbs of filling in the center of each square.
- Dip a finger in water and wet along every side of the squares.
- Fold over the sides to create a triangle shape, a samosa shape, and seal the filling with fork pushing the sides of the puff pastry down.
- Brush each of the the samosa’s with the egg wash.
9. Bake the samosa’s 15-20 min in the oven until golden brown en serve straight out the oven!
Diet-friendly low-carb quarkbread with cranberries