I can hear you think: “Healthy tiramisu; is that even possible?” Well, yes – it actually is! Though I have to admit, it was a bit of a challenge. Italians really know how to please your taste buds, but they don’t seem to worry much about how it makes you look in a bikini haha. Sometimes you just need an after dinner treat and tiramisu is probably my absolute favorite Italian dessert ever, but it is also a very calorie loaded one. So to make it possible to still enjoy this guilty pleasure without it affecting my figure, I tried to create a version that includes healthy ingredients and good macros.
After some trial and error I eventually created a healthy tiramisu version that gives you the same feeling as regular tiramisu, but in a more responsible way. The cookies, mascarpone and refined white sugar are all replaced and it turned out to be so good! I gave my boyfriend and friends all a bite too and we have approved this recipe to go up on Foodie-ness. I know it takes some time and effort to make this healthy tiramisu, but I can assure you it is to-tal-ly worth it 🙂
Layer 1: ladyfinger cookies
– 125 g spelt flour
– 5 eggs
– 75 g agave syrup
– pinch of salt
– 2 tsp baking powder
Layer 2: cream
– 225 g unsalted cashews
– 40 g agave syrup
– 75 g melted coconut oil
– vanilla extract to taste
– pinch of salt
Layer 3: topping
– raw cacao powder
- Energy: 264 kcal
- Protein: 8 g
- Carbs: 22,3 g
- Fat: 17,3 g
- Fiber: 2,7 g
1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. Take a baking plate and cover with baking paper.
3. Set up two bowls. Split the eggs and put the egg white in one bowl and the yolk in the other.
4. Get started with the egg whites first. Whisk them until stiff and put in the fridge.
5. Next we get to work with the egg yolks. Add the spelt flour, agave syrup, salt and baking powder and whisk or mix to a whole. I prefer to use a hand mixer for this. The espresso will be used later.
6. Take the egg whites from the fridge and blend gently trough the mixture. It’s okay if it is a bit sticky!
7. Spread this over the baking plate and spread it out, trying to create a layer of 1 to 2 cm. The shape doesn’t really matter, because later we’re going to cut the “lady fingers” part from it.
8. Place the plate in the oven for 15 minutes until golden brown. Let it cool down on a cake rack after.
1. Start with melting the coconut oil. Make sure it is only melted to get it liquefied, you don’t want it to be hot!
2. Chop the cashews well, either by hand or with a blender (I prefer last). You can also choose to have them soaked in water for a few hours before, to get an even more creamy effect.
3. Put the coconut oil, cashews, agave syrup, vanilla extract and salt together in a bowl and blend well until you’ve got a smooth mixture. It takes a well, but eventually you will get a nice cream like you can see on the pictures above.
4. When the mixture is done, place it in the fridge for a little while.
1. The third layer only consists of raw cacao powder, so it’s ready to use right away for building the tiramisu.
1. Cut the baked first layer into small bars, just as the regular lady finger cookies.
2. Now make the espresso and put in a rectangular bowl to dip your homemade “cookies” in.
3. Use an oven dish or plate to build the tiramisu. Start with the first layer: cover your cookies with coffee by dipping them and carefully lay next to each other in the oven dish. Only use half of the total amount of cookies.
4. On top of this comes layer 2, so get the homemade cream from the fridge. Spread half of it on the first layer and cover with layer 3: the raw cacao powder.
5. Now you’re halfway done and you can stack another three layers on top of it! Repeat the previous actions with the remaining cookies and cream and end up with the cacao powder.
6.Place the tiramisu in the fridge for 3 hours to make sure it is thickened enough, and then it’s time to fully enjoy this Italian style dessert!
Enjoy girls and I hope to see your Foodie-ness healthy tiramisu on social media via @foodie_ness and #foodie_ness!!
The importance of eating good fats for fitness fanatics