Are you still looking for a homemade treat to serve during these Christmas days? Look no further because I’ve got a lovely sweet pumpkin recipe coming your way! It can be good to find some healthier substitutes for all the sweetness around us at the moment. One of which is chewy pumpkin pie cupcakes with healthy frosting, that fit this festive season really well.
Last week I had some of my girls over and I wanted to serve something sweet for them. I had not made cupcakes in a while so I decided to go for those.
“I’ve always been a fan of baking cupcakes, ever since my dear mommy taught me how to make them.”
Together having fun in the kitchen baking is one of my favorite memories 🙂 My love for baking is even greater during the winter season, and I like to incorporate seasonal ingredients. I’ve used my favorite veggie for this recipe, with a healthy frosting for the finishing touch. By using natural healthy substitutes for sugar we can still enjoy to the fullest because healthier doesn’t mean less tasty!
Have fun baking and enjoy your yummy homemade pumpkin pie cupcakes with healthy frosting this Christmas – or after 😉
– 400 g pumpkin
– 400 g almond flour
– 1 banana
– 2 eggs
– 3 tbsp. unsweetened milk
– 2 tsp. baking powder
– 1 tsp. cinnamon
– pinch of salt
– 1 tsp. olive oil
– 150 g unsalted cashew nuts
– 50 ml unsweetened milk
– 1 tbsp. maple syrup
– 1/2 tsp. vanilla powder
– 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
– pinch of salt
- Energy: 306 kcal
- Protein: 11 g
- Carbs: 17,2 g
- Fat: 23,8 g
- Fiber: 5,6 g
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the pumpkin into pieces, put in a pan and cook in a layer of water. Drain the water when the pumpkin is soft and puree with a hand blender.
- Grab a bowl and add the remaining ingredients: almond flour, sliced banana, eggs, milk, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and olive oil.
- Mix everything to one smooth mixture. I used a hand blender, but you can also use a blending or kitchen machine. No equipment available? Use a spatula for this.
- Grab a cupcake/muffin tray and add the mixture over the individual cake molds. Fill each one only 2/3, because the cakes will rise in the oven.
- Place the cupcakes in the oven for 30 minutes.
TIP: When you put in a skewer and it comes out dry and clean the cupcakes are ready!
- While the cupcakes are in the oven we can make the frosting!
- Make sure to have soaked the cashews at least 4 hours in a cup of water. I prefer to do this at night, to make sure they are perfectly soft when I start baking.
- Again use a blender or kitchen machine to mix all the ingredients for a smooth frosting: cashews, milk, maple syrup, vanilla powder, cinnamon and salt.
Are the cupcakes done in the oven? Let them cool down and divide the frosting over it. I used a plastic cone shaped bag to add the frosting with a twist on top of the cupcakes!