To be honest, I never took my stretching really serious. However, since I have read that regular stretching is just as important as regular exercise, I’ve put more focus on sustained and proper stretching. And guess what, I found out that there are some absolute-must-know do’s and don’ts in order to make stretching beneficial. If you’re like me, and kind of neglected this stretching aspect of your workout routine, you’ll be surprised by the following guidelines on how to actually stretch! Oh boy, what was I doing before I knew this hahah?!
We all know that all of our workouts should start with a warm-up and cool down. But what about stretching? Let me try to convince you in a nutshell why we should pay more attention to stretching. I hope that the following arguments and benefits of stretching will open your eyes too!
1. Improves flexibility
2. Helps to lengthening tight muscles
3. Decreases the chances on injury
4. Assist in reducing muscle soreness
5. Will calm the mind and allow your body to recharge in a short amount of time
HOW to stretch?
Like I said, I kind of neglected stretching and never truly incorporated it into my workout routine. Why? Well, I simply wasn’t aware of the benefits AND I actually did not really have a clue on what to do. I had an idea (based on looking at the people around me) but after the following list of do’s and don’ts I must have looked like a fool! Whoaaa! I almost did the complete opposite, oops.. So it’s time to share this info with you girls, because I want you to be informed properly and look better than me ha ha
1. Never stretch cold muscles, your body should be warm in order to make stretching easy.
2. Only stretch fully after you finished both your workout and your cool down – skip the pre-workout stretch!
3. A fully stretch contains your hamstrings, quadriceps, calves, neck, lower back and groin area. Do them all.
4. You should hold each stretch for 15 to 30 seconds.
5. Never bounce while you are stretching, hold still on each stretch.
6. Each stretch should be performed 1 to 3 times.
7. Like I said in point 1, a stretch should be easy to make and you should not hurt yourself. Does it hurt? Stop immediately!
Please let me know in the comment section below if you found this info helping or how your stretch routine looks like? 🙂