As a kid I always loved to have a daily slice of spiced breakfast cake, called ontbijtkoek in Dutch. Little did I know how packed these cakes are with large amounts of sugar! When I started realizing this, I’ve quit eating them. Now I prefer to make my own healthy spiced breakfast cake and the love is back. Here’s my recipe for a healthy spiced cake that will definitely give you a good start of the day!
These cakes from the store consist nearly half (40%) out of sugar! Not quite fitting a healthy lifestyle if you ask me. And the sugar free options aren’t as great either, because too much artificial sweeteners also isn’t the way to a good health. That’s why I enjoy making my own and this is actually an easy to make recipe without much effort or ingredients.
“My favorite spice has to be cinnamon; I eat this almost every day because it just gives that nice final touch to a dish!”
To make this healthy spiced breakfast cake beauty, you do need a little variety of spices, but there are lots of other recipes to use them for. Try adding this to your oatmeal, granola, pancakes, waffles etc. Though if you don’t have space to fill your kitchen cabinets with jars of spices, get a jar with premixed spices from the store 😉
This breakfast cake is super tasty and nutritious. It’s free from refined sugar, only a bit of honey is used. And I can promise you that the spices will make up for the lack of sugar in this one! Bake yours in the weekend and you can enjoy it for breakfast or as an easy snack-to-go during the rest of the week 🙂 Enjoy!
– 250 g spelt flour
– 2 eggs
– 4 tbsp. honey
– 200 ml plant based milk (I used almond milk)
– 1 tsp. vanilla extract
– 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
– 2 tsp. baking powder
– 2 tsp. ground nutmeg
– 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
– 2 tsp. ground ginger
– 2 tsp. ground cardamom
– pinch of salt
MACRONUTRIENTS PER SLICE
Energy: 56,7 kcal
Carbs: 8,9 g
Protein: 2,4 g
Fat: 1,6 g
Fiber: 1,4 g
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Cover a cake form with baking paper.
- Grab a bowl, add all the dry ingredients (spelt flour, baking powder, spices, salt) and mix together.
- In another bowl mix the eggs with the honey and vanilla extract. Then add the milk.
- Pour this mixture with the dry ingredients and mix to a whole.
- Finally add the coconut oil and stir it trough.
- Add the batter to the cake mold and put in the oven for about 45 minutes.